Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta
The Libin Cardiovascular Institute, established in 2004, is a ‘virtual institute’ that coordinates and integrates all cardiovascular services in Southern Alberta; this includes educating and training future health care professionals, promoting cardiovascular health and disease prevention, providing treatment and increasing access to cardiac services, and conducting research. The Institute serves over 1.6 million people in Southern Alberta, Saskatchewan and Eastern British Columbia.
The following projects were supported by the Flames/Rotary donation:
• Cardiovascular Health Awareness and Management Program
• Canadian Hypertension Education Program
• A CIHR supported study assessing hypertension occurrence, management and outcomes in Canada
• World Health Organization meeting on sodium reduction
• National Cardiovascular Outcomes Workshop
The impact of these projects, programs and meetings has spanned from the local to the international level.